Tri-State Route 66 Festival — The Prelude
Here it is Wednesday morning and we’re getting ready to head off for five (hopefully) peaceful days on the road. Our day will start off with a drive out to Springfield, Illinois where we’ll have lunch at the Cozy Dog Drive In, well known as the restaurant where the corn dog was invented 50-some years ago. From there, we pick up that grand old two-lane highway, Route 66 and take it south into St. Louis, where chances are we’ll be diving into a concrete from Ted Drewes Frozen Custard, another Route 66 icon dating back to 1941. After that, we meander our way through the Ozarks of Missouri before picking a spot for the night.
Thursday we’ll finish our drive along 66 in Missouri and head into Joplin where we’ll bunk up Thursday & Friday nights. The Tri State Route 66 Festival is our destination, just over the Missouri/Oklahoma border, at the Downstream Casino. Friday we’ll be cruising throughout central Oklahoma. As some of you know, we’re big into photographing old movie scene locations and there are a couple of towns where “Rain Man” was filmed that we’re going to hit. We also plan on hunting down an old plant that used to build Serro Scotty trailers back in the 1960′s, since we’re (almost) new owners of a 21st century model.
Looking forward to hooking up with some of our old Route 66 friends we’ve met throughout the years this weekend. Feel free to follow along with us here on the blog, as I hope to have daily updates and photos of our trip as internet connectivity allows.
Off we go!
- July 7, 2014: Albuquerque, New Mexico to Holbrook, Arizona
- July 6, 2014: Amarillo, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Easy Rider Filming Locations
- Wild Hogs Filming Locations
- July 3-5, 2014: Route 66 – Riverton, Kansas to Amarillo, Texas
- 2014 Illinois Route 66 Motor Tour – 25th Anniversary
- Plans change; relax and go with the flow…
- A drive like we took back in the day….
- I’ve Been Everywhere…well, not yet, but working on it!
- July 31-August 4, 2013: International Route 66 Festival, Joplin, Missouri