July 7, 2013: Day 3 – US 12 Heritage Trail, Michigan
Above is the trip map tracked using my Trimble Outdoors Navigator iPhone app.
Click the link above for a bigger map.
Our final day, we left our hotel in Indiana and went back up into Michigan to complete our journey on US 12 across Michigan. We made a short side trip hoping to locate some of the elusive Amish berry pie, but it was really elusive! We visited a few non-Amish farmer’s markets, hoping for even regular Michigan berry pie, but even that proved futile! But a road trip is always fun anyway.
I happened to see a Facebook post by Pickle Barrel, a favorite vendor of mine from the Indiana State Fair, that they would be at the Lake County Fair, and by coincidence, today was opening day and we were nearby! This is the “good side” of social media. We stopped there for a bit and I had some sirloin tips.
We also stopped at a nice farm market called Garwood Farm. We bought some produce and baked goods, and though the pie was not from Michigan and only a single berry (raspberry), we bought one anyway.
We continued to meander back to Indianapolis on as many back roads as possible, also making a loop around Bass Lake, a neat little resort community, where Pat’s aunt had a home at one time.
By the time we reached Indianapolis, we hopped off the Michigan Road (US 421) onto 465 and headed for home.
Pat & Jennifer
Below is a slideshow of all of today’s photos.
Click any photo to stop the slideshow and view the photos on my Flickr site.
[flickrslideshow acct_name=”roadtripmemories” id=”72157634726099179″ width=”600″]
- I’ve Been Everywhere…well, not yet, but working on it!
- The Road Trip That Made Me
- My Cannonball Fugitive – A Trip 8 Years in the Making
- July 6, 2014: Amarillo, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Plans change; relax and go with the flow…
- A drive like we took back in the day….
- July 6, 2013: Day 2 – US 12 Heritage Trail, Michigan
- July 5-7, 2013: US 12 Heritage Trail, Michigan – Overview
- May 10-19, 2013: Overview-East Bound and Down
- May 18, 2013: Day 9 – East Bound and Down