Christmas on Route 66
As if the Thanksgiving on Route 66 trip wasn’t enough, now comes “Christmas on Route 66″. I’ve been wanting to get my dad out on the road with me for a couple of years & now he’s finally agreed. Destination: A Christmas steak dinner at the Big Texan in Amarillo.
He’s picking me up Christmas Eve morning & we’re interstating Wednesday & Thursday and bunking up at the Big Texan Motel Christmas night after a steak dinner at the BT. Friday we’ll turn around and mosy on 66 Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Should be a cool father/son bonding thing. I’ve always been intrigued by the story he told me of his family’s trip out to California in ’49. On the way back home…on Route 66…my grandpa had to be admitted in the hospital in Tucumcari, NM with stomach ulcers. Being the stubborn German he was, he checked himself out of the hospital 3 days later and my dad drove he & my grandma home via 66. So, I’ll be taking him on some of those sections of 66 that had been bypassed, but were in use in ’49, mainly in Oklahoma. No, I don’t expect he’d remember much about those sections, but it’ll be cool to tell him that this abandoned stretch is the same road he would’ve driven 60 years prior when he was a teen.
Anywho, I’ll be bringing along the laptop to provide updates as internet connections allow.
- September 12-14, 2015: Route 66 RV Trip
- June 20, 2015: Cozy Dog Run
- July 9, 2014: Route 66 – Seligman – Needles – Williams
- July 8, 2014: Route 66 – Holbrook to Seligman, Arizona
- October 17 – 19, 2014: CubaFest
- July 7, 2014: Albuquerque, New Mexico to Holbrook, Arizona
- July 6, 2014: Amarillo, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Easy Rider Filming Locations
- Wild Hogs Filming Locations
- July 3-5, 2014: Route 66 – Riverton, Kansas to Amarillo, Texas